Most of widowers over 50 have been married for more or less three decades. In such a span of time, many things have happened. He shared many ups and downs with his late wife. It is something that you can never compete with. It is all in the past so you can never win no matter how hard you fight. However, dating a widower over 50 can also be a pleasurable experience because of different perspectives and a lot of lesson learned from decades of relationship.
Here are the things that you need to understand when dating a widower over 50:
- Honesty is the best policy. You need to establish a rule about honesty when it comes to dating a widower over 50. You can expect that he will be more than willing to be honest because at that age, he will most likely not have time for any lies. Also, he will appreciate honesty just like anybody else who is in a relationship. After all, a relationship based on lies is most likely to end up being one as well.
- Totally relatable. Your dating journey is something that he probably understands because he has gone through the same things back when he was younger. Now, he is most likely over those things and would never want to go through those things ever again. That way, you go straight to the good stuff – a shot at a healthy relationship after everything that the two of you went through.
- Live. Laugh. Love. A widower over 50 understands that life is not always rainbows and butterflies. He knows that relationship needs commitment, sacrifices, and compromises. Because of this, there will not be so many disappointments because of unmet expectations. With his experience, he knows that pride does nothing good and that it just becomes a communication barrier.
- Worth waiting for. You need to make sure that he is ready for a serious relationship. New relationships can be very exciting. However, you need to be careful not to get carried away by your emotions. You need to wait for just about a year as it is the usual period of time when a widower’s wounds heal just enough to move on to a new relationship.
- Matching type. You need to make sure that he walks the talk. This will save you from a lot of heartaches. All you need is a critical eye and a critical mind to make sure that he says what he means and that he means what he says. Widowers over 50 should value their words and they should have been past the days when they would say anything just to get what they want.
Dating a widower over 50 can be quite challenging but it also has numerous upsides. You just need to make sure that you are both on the same page. Just like in any other romantic relationships, never rush things. Love is sweeter when it develops and ages on its own.