Relationships are not easy. It takes work, sacrifices, and compromise from time to time. However, when one or both of the persons in a relationship works the night shift, you need extra effort in making the relationship work. First, you need to understand the effects of working night shift on relationships and see if there is anything that you can do to prevent it from causing problems.
- Less time with each other. When you have to work in the evening, it is most likely that you will not be able to spend much time with your partner because you will be working as he or she sleeps and when you get home, it is just about time that your partner leaves for work. Spending time with each other would require lots of effort and unimaginable sacrifices.
- Sleep deprivation. Your body clock takes time to adjust and even though you may be able to sleep in the morning, it is highly unlikely that you will get the same quality like a good night’s sleep. It results to you being easily irritated and this damages relationships not just with your partner but also with your family and friends.
- Guilt trip. If you are the one who works the night shift, you may feel guilty at times. You may feel that you are not being able to fulfil your part in the relationship as you cannot be there for your partner in special occasions as well as in times of need because you are at work. As a result, your insecurities start to grow as you think that there are others out there who can make your partner happier.
- Solo. Since you are asleep while others are going on with their daily routine, you will usually feel left out. You do not have many people to interact with aside from your workmates. One of the things that suffer the most is your social life. What usually happens is that you may try to stay awake to spend time with your partner but your energy will most likely be low and you are not at your best. As a result, you will not be able to spend quality time with your partner and you will not be able to maximize your time together.
- Two lonelier people in the world. When your partner works the night shift, you will most likely feel lonely often. You may feel like no one is around to be with you especially in times when you need somebody to be there. This is even harder when you have kids because you will feel like you have the sole responsibility to take care of them. This may cause stress and people who are both stressed out easily find reasons to fight over with their partners.
Working night shifts entails a lot of changes in your life especially if you are in a relationship. Understanding, care, and unconditional love – these are the things that will help you handle the effects of working night shift on relationships effectively.